Dr. Mansour Shawky,
Dr. Mansour M. Shawky
Following his graduation with Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine from Assiut University in 1998, he completed his Master’s Degree in Neurology & Psychiatry from the same university in 2003. He received a scholarship for 2 years at the University of California, Los Angeles “UCLA” where he got training on addiction psychiatry at the Integrated Substances Abuse Program. He also got training on the matrix model of intensive outpatient treatment of substance use problems at the Matrix institute in Los Angeles and on opioids maintenance treatment at West LA clinics. In 2008, Dr. Shawky won the award for the Best Research in Psychiatry within the category of young psychiatrists in Egypt. In 2009, he completed his Doctorate degree in Psychiatry and Addiction from Assiut University. He conducted researches, wrote and published several articles on addiction treatment in international peer-review journals. He held several key positions including consultant and lecturer on Addiction psychiatry in Assiut University.
Dr Shawky is a qualified consultant psychiatrist with 20 years of experience effectively treating patients with various psychiatric problems across different age groups. I’m more specialized in treating general adult psychiatry patients and patients with addiction and/or other co-morbid psychiatric disorders.
He graduated from the medical school, Assiut university, in 1998, got his master degree in neurology and psychiatry in 2003 and got his doctorate degree in Psychiatry in 2009.
He spent two years scholarship training on addiction treatment and research at the University of California, Los Angeles, Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (UCLA, ISAP) (2005-2007).
Dr Shawky was working as a lecturer of psychiatry at Assiut university hospital until 2009 then moved to work at the national rehabilitation centre in Abu Dhabi since 2010 until now, leading the intake/assessment unit and the outpatient services.
DR Shawky is also a certified addiction professional from a number of international organizations:
- International Society of Substance Use professionals (ISSUP), Certified trainer from the International Certified Addiction Professional (ICAP II certified) in April 2020.
- Certified Aeromedical specialist in psychiatry from the General Civil Aviation Authority in the united Arab Emirates in March 2019.
- Certified Master trainer on Addiction psychosocial treatment from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC) since 2009.
He is also a member of the following associations:
- The International Society of Addiction Medicine, ISAM
- The International Society of Substance Use Professionals, ISSUP
- The Egyptian Psychiatric Association
- Addiction psychiatry
- Comorbid addiction and other psychiatric disorders
- General Adult psychiatry
- Suboxone Treatment and Recovery Trial (STAR-T): Study Protocol for a Randomised Controlled Trial of Opioid Medication Assisted Treatment with Adjunctive Medication Management Using Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Contingency Management. Hesham Elarabi, Abuelgasim Elrasheed, Ahmed Ali, Mansour Shawky, Nael Hasan, Tarek A. Gawad, Abdu Adem, and JohnMarsden. Journal of Addiction, Volume 2019, Article ID 2491063, 11 pages; https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2491063
- A case-control genome wide association study of substance use disorder (SUD) identifies novel variants on chromosome 7p14.1 in patients from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Alblooshi H, Al Safar H, Fisher HF, Cordell HJ, El Kashef A, Al Ghaferi H, Shawky M, Reece S, Hulse GK, Tay GK. American Journal of Med Genetics B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2019 Jan; 180(1):68-79. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.b.32708. Epub 2018 Dec 16.
- The frequency of DRD2 rs1076560 and OPRM1 rs1799971 in substance use disorder patients from the United Arab Emirates. Hiba Alblooshi, Gary Hulse, Wael Osman, Ahmed El Kashef, Mansour Shawky, Hamad Al Ghaferi, Habiba Al Safar and Guan K. Tay. Annals of General Psychiatry (2018) 17:22 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12991-018-0192-4.
- Recommendations to improve opioid use disorder outcomes in countries of the Middle. Ahmed ElKashef, Salman Alzayani, Mansour Shawky, Mahmood Al Abri, Richard Littlewood, Tarik Qassem, Abdullah Alsharqi, Peter Hjelmström, Momtaz Abdel Wahab, Masooma Abdulraheem & Adel Alzayed (2018): Journal of Substance Use, DOI: 10.1080/14659891.2018.1489906
- The pattern of substance use disorder in the United Arab Emirates in 2015: results of a National Rehabilitation Centre cohort study. Hiba Alblooshi, Gary K. Hulse, Ahmed El Kashef, Hanan Al Hashmi, Mansour Shawky, Hamad Al Ghaferi, Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy (2016) 11:19 DOI 10.1186/s13011-016-0062-5.
- Transforming a residential substance dependence program: experience from the National Rehabilitation Centre, United Arab Emirates. Hesham Elarabi, Naseeba Alozaibi, Mansour Shawky, Shamil Wanigaratne, Susan Salas, Fatima Al Hamedi, Buthaina Al Maskari, Sarah Al Marzooqi, Alyazia Al Khaja & Hamad Al Ghaferi (2014); Mental Health and Substance Use, 7:4, 353-362, DOI: 10.1080/17523281.2014.939218 To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17523281.2014.939218.
- Effectiveness of combined methadone maintenance treatment and psychosocial treatment program for heroin-dependent patients: an international experience. Wageeh Abdel Nasser Hassan, Richard A. Rawson, Khaled A. Mohammed and Mansour M. Shawky, Egyptian Journal of Psychiatry 2012, 33:51–56.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime international network of drug dependence treatment and rehabilitation resources centres: Treatment. Tomas-Rossello, Juana ; Rawson, Richard A. ; Zarza, Maria J. ; Bellows, Anne ; Busse, Anja ; Saenz, Elizabeth ; Freese, Thomas ; Shawkey, Mansour ; Carise, Deni ; Ali, Robert ; Ling, Walter ; 2010. Substance Abuse: 31 (4) 2010.
- Characteristics of Clients with Substance Abuse Disorders in a Private Hospital in Cairo, Egypt. Authors: Nael M. Hasana; Nasser Lozaa; Ahmed El-Dosokya; Nayla Hamdia; Richard Rawsonb; Albert L. Hassonb; Mansour M. Shawkyb
- Journal of Muslim Mental Health, Volume 4, Issue 1, 2009, Pages 9 – 15
- Characterization of substance abuse patients presenting for treatment at a university psychiatric hospital in Cairo, Egypt. Annon, Jeffrey J. ; Carise, Deni ; Elhabiby, Mahmoud ; Haroon, Amany ; Hasson, Albert M. ; Khalil, Afaf ; Okasha, Tarek ; Rawson, Richard A. ; Shawky, Mansour ; 2008Addictive Disorders & Their Treatment: 7 (4) December 2008
- Neurophysiological and Biochemical Changes of Migraine
- Mona Farouk El-Karn, Safia A. Tohamy, Esam S. Darwish, Mansour M. Shawky, Egypt J. Neurol. Psychiat. Neurosurg. Vol. 44 (1) – Jan 2006.
- Doctorate degree in Psychiatry and Addiction from Assiut University in Egypt, 2009
- Master Degree (MSc) in Neurology and Psychiatry, Assiut University, 2003.
- Bachelors of Medicine (MBBCH), Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, 1998.
- Two years scholarship for training on addiction treatment and research at the Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (UCLA, ISAP) , University of California, Los Angeles, USA (2005-2007).
Phone: +971 2 306 0109
Office Address: 20021 W2